Monday, August 24, 2009

Singapore Slings and Honkey Tonk

I've mentioned on a couple of occasions how my social life in Singapore is better than my social life in San Francisco, and this continues to be the case. Not having many of my normal at-home responsibilities certainly plays a role, as does the generosity of new friends and coworkers who are eager to keep me entertained.

Tonight my colleague, Sam, took me for drinks at the Singapore Recreation Club. It's a members only club where Sam says she goes to get cheap drinks and bites. (I believe it's actual purpose is to promote sports, recreation and social activities among its members.)

Here we are with my first Singapore Sling! It was pretty good, though a bit sweet.



One of the best parts? The live country western music! Who knew? Apparently this band, Matthew and the Mandarins, was one of the most popular country western bands in Singapore. In a way it's kind of sad that they're now playing gigs at the local lounge but they seemed to be having fun. I think they may have played a few of their own songs but if they did, I didn't know them. Mostly they stuck to covers like Pretty Woman, Chattahoochie and Teddy Bear.

Check them out 30 years ago or so!

No comments: