Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back off my tissue packs!

Can you guess what this means?


You know how I told you that a lot of restaurants - especially food stalls/hawker stands - don't give you napkins and instead you must be sure you always have mini tissue packs? Well, here they are the ultimate multi-taskers. In addition to being used as snot rags and napkins, they also serve as "this seat is reserved" signs. I wish I had taken a better photo where you can see loads of them on table after table, "choping" seats for people standing in line at the hawker stands, but you get the idea.

Both photos were taken in a food court relatively near our office. Chris and I went there today, where I had a delicious noodle soup with prawns. It really was really good, filling and educational. Educational because I will never again order prawns in soup. They almost always come with their heads on and they are nearly impossible to remove in a soup because you must use your fingers and it is so hot. Also educational because wet, flat noodles are particularly tricky with chopsticks. It was worth it, though, for about US$2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The soup looks delicious. You must be an expert with the chopsticks by now. When I first saw your post about making sure you had a table for lunch, I thought that when you walked in with a pack of tissues people scattered because they thought you had the flu:) Miss you.
Momma