Thursday, August 6, 2009

Shuffling Around in Chinatown

Somehow the first two weeks have flown by, and last night it dawned on me that I didn't have gifts and souvenirs for everyone I'm going to see this week in the States! I suppose I thought I'd pick up the extras this past weekend, but we all know how that turned out in the end.

So I decided that I'd use my lunch hour (yes, most people here take a real lunch hour - outside the office!) to head back to Chinatown and pick up a few things. I know what you're thinking about Chinatown, but it really is my favorite gift area here (outside Orchard Road perhaps, but if you're buying in bulk, Chinatown is definitely more economical). I wasn't sure if I could do it in time, but it only took me ten minutes on the MRT to arrive and only a few more minutes to find the specific stalls I had in mind from my last visit.

I've already learned that if you see something you think you like in Singapore, buy it. Right now. This goes for grocery stores, street vendors and little shops. Had I known this two weeks ago, I would not have been stuck in Chinatown sweating my tush off in lined pants. I hadn't even this seemingly tiny detail when I got dressed for work. Lesson number two, check!

Pants-stuck-to-my-legs aside, I found everything I was looking for and made it back in time, so if you live in the Paris/Lexington area, you just might have a little gift coming your way.


Now, for what I wish I had coming my way...the cable guy. He was supposed to arrive between 6:30-8:30 tonight to install a few more channels but I haven't heard anything from him and it's 8:18. Singaporeans are notoriously late, but let's hope he makes it in the next 12 minutes.

No comments: