Friday, August 21, 2009

My clothes smell like clay pot!

Today has been a good day in food, and a smelly one as well.


It all started out with lunch. Before we went my coworkers warned that we might come back smelling like "toilet bowl" but I shouldn't worry because "the food is really good." Ummmm....not that appetizing but I went. We had chicken clay pot - it's Cantonese. They wrap the chickens in cabbage and then cook them all day. Apparently they cook and sell 200-300 a day! My colleague, Trupti, said it's Singaporean comfort food. It was delicious actually, and we ate it with (guess what...wait for it...) rice. And bean sprouts.

Unfortunately after lunch it started raining, and guess who left her umbrella in the office. That's right. You know how wet dogs and wet wool sweaters don't smell good? Neither do wet clay pot clothes. In an elevator. Ew.


Kevin from our SF office was visiting this week for meetings with our client. We went out with Ed and a few others after work. This stray cat befriended him and hung out with him all night. This doesn't have much to do with food now that I write about it. But we went to this nice place called Speakeasy. It's in a shop house - very cool atmosphere. I'd like to go back.

Remember watermelon juice? Well, try a watermelon mint julep. That's what I called my drink at Speakeasy anyway, though on the menu it was called the Rockefeller. It was bourbon, mint, watermelon and lime. It tasted like watermelon juice. Yum!


We had some "bites" (aka appetizers or tapas) at Speakeasy, but we were still hungry and went to this place next door where I tried murkabat (sp?). It's basically a thin pastry shell/dough filled with chicken, egg, and maybe a few veggies. I can't remember the name of the sauce/gravy you can see here but it's omnipresent. The murkabat was good, but I could definitely smell myself again in the cab.

No comments: