Monday, November 12, 2007

My Dentist asked, "Do you want to have kids?"


Today I went to the dentist, and he seriously asked me this question. I responded, "Umm, not right now."

At first I thought he was coming on to me (ok, not really), but I thought the question was weird considering pregnancy questions are usually not in his job description, if you know what I'm saying...

He proceeds to tell me I need to have all my amalgam fillings (the ones that look silver) removed if I want to have healthy kids someday. What? I've never heard of this. I have always been aware of mercury in the fillings, but there's also mercury in fish and other foods we eat. Plus, I've never heard a news story about this (and of all people, trust me, I would hear about this one way or another). Even the ADA says amalgam is perfectly safe.

Oh, and by the way, even with your insurance, he says, that will be about $75-100 per filling. At this point I'm starting to catch on...

So then I remember how two visits ago he wanted me to get a $400 mouthguard because my fillings were shiny (meaning I grind my teeth in my sleep). Funny he didn't mention how "dangerous" amalgam fillings are then when they were bright and shiny. Nor has he brought up the mouthguard again.

What's more, he's the speediest dentist ever. I'm not even sure my teeth are clean he moves over them so fast. My appointment today? Record time = 19 minutes. Not kidding.

My mom's calling good old Dr. Fight tomorrow to find out if what I suspect is true - that I'm getting flossed by my dentist.

After all, Granny K. had fillings when she was pregnant with my mom, who had fillings when she was pregnant with me. Just look at how we turned out! (On second thought...)

3 comments:

Mike, Jen and Cooper too! said...

Sounds like a total scam...but it could be worse. I covered a story several weeks ago here in NYC where a woman is suing her dentist because he was drilling in her mouth WHILE DANCING TO THE SONG "CAR WASH" which was playing in the dentist's office, and ended up rupturing her sinus cavity with the drill....good times...not.

Mike

Unknown said...

"getting flossed"

nice.

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm not naming names but someone in Paris went to my dad and demanded that he remove all his old fillings. ha ha ha! I'm not sure what good ole Daddy Fight had to say about this, but I'd say it would be when hell freezes over that the ADA or FDA or anyone ever admits there's something wrong.