Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Happy Saxophone Day!

I don't discriminate when it comes to holidays. Religious, cultural, commercialized, I'm ready to celebrate regardless.

November 6 just happens to be Saxophone Day. Even though I just learned of Saxophone Day today, it already holds a special place in my heart. Mr. Grigson would be proud...

Those of you who have met me in the last 10 years (and I assume that's most of you) may not be aware that yes, I was in the high school band. And yes, it was the "cool" thing to do in our high school. Ok, that's what I tell people when they give me weird looks when I admit this as an adult... The truth is, I really enjoyed the band and despite my infamous vocal talents, I had some mad sax skills. (Plus, it didn't hurt that band really was cool at Paris High School, or that we took the best school trips around).

So in celebration of Saxophone Day, I'd like to share with you a music video that is near and dear to me. Not only does this video feature one of my favorite 80's pop saxophone solos, but it also is performed by some of my favorite artists. I'd be happy to sing my rendition of "the woman is wild - woooooooooooh" for you any time. Enjoy:


2 comments:

Carmen said...

oh geez. why am i not surprised? only you would consider a hall and oates song as one of the best sax solos of the 80's. somewhere, charlie parker is rolling in his grave. ;)

Mike, Jen and Cooper too! said...

I played sax too... but not in highschool. In 5th and 6th grade. I quit in 7th grade because it became very uncool and I kinda sucked at it. Do you remember the TV show Rags to Riches? Thats why I picked up sax.