Saturday, November 3, 2007


In the fine tradition of my mother and grandmother before me, I like to decorate for the holidays. When I say like, I mean "am obsessed with". I've been looking forward to this since Wednesday night - partly because I can't stand to still have past-due decorations out, partly because all the decorations remind me of my fun holiday bridal shower. Now that November's here, I've packed up all my ghost candlestick holders, Halloween cookie cutters, and all-things jack-o-lantern and have moved on to turkeys.

"Why do we have so many turkeys?" Brian asked.

I didn't think it was that many, but it seems we have seven. Eight if you count the picture of my dad on the fridge with a big jake (not the dog), and 36 if you count the turkeys on my dishtowels. (For the record, I'm not counting the dishtowels; 36 does seem like a lot.) Salt and pepper shakers, wreaths, more candlestick holders - even a turkey with tail feather spreaders. I think it's cute, Brian thinks it's a little overkill for a one-bedroom apartment.

Which leads me to the question: Why are turkeys really the only Thanksgiving decoration? I have platters with non-specific fall leaves that can stay out for three months and I didn't carve my pumpkin so I could keep it through Thanksgiving, but seriously? No one decorates with pilgrims anymore, so I'm going to make that my mission this week. Must find classy pilgrim decoration to make the turkeys a little less intense. We're going shopping tomorrow, so I'm sure this will be really fun for both of us...

Coming soon: Not sure...feeling a little spontaneous. Hopefully something funnier than this.

1 comment:

Tanner said...

Somehow I am not surprised at your holiday decoration overkill. I do remember Grace (aka Ghetto Grace) adorning our dorm room, though she had a more permanent spot than most holiday decorations should. If you're on a mission to find pilgrims though, you might check out Fitz and Floyd - my mom used to have many pilgrims decorating our living room from that lovely line of porcelain/ceramic/breakable stuff (leave it to me to have no idea what kind of dishes they were) In any case, seems like you're doing well and hopefully we can catch up at some point in the near future!

Love ya,
Tanner