Thursday, July 23, 2009

Look out, Singapore!

Yesterday I arrived safely in Singapore after a nearly 20 hours of travel time, most of which was in the dark. When I landed in Hong Kong for my layover around 5 a.m. Wednesday, it seemed as if Tuesday almost never existed.

It hasn’t taken me long to learn a few things about traveling abroad. First of all, apparently my idea of a personal item differs from that of Singapore air. When traveling across the U.S. I almost always carry on a small roller as well as a large LL Bean canvas bag, which if squished just right, will actually fit under a seat. Oh, and it can also hide my third carry on, a purse. Upon check-in at SFO, I was quickly told that there was no way I was taking both of those things as carry-on items and, oh yeah, they’re both overweight anyway.

I’m a nervous traveler. I don’t mind flying itself, but I get really anxious every time I have to wait in line to check bags, go through security, or anything that makes me feel in the slightest that I just might miss my flight.

Brian and I wheeled the two large suitcases, mini-roller and large canvas bag over to a side area where I opened up the roller and removed the few things I needed to carry on my person (i.e. jewelry, diploma, etc.). Having already committed to checking the mini-roller (for a fee), I also had to cut the weight of the LL Bean bag by about half. Second key learning: apparently some airlines have weight restrictions on carry-on items! Oops. I was SO glad Brian was there to help me or I would have freaked out on some Singapore Air staff. Here I am with the much lighter LL Bean bag, just before I got all mushy and said good-bye to Brian.



The flight to Hong Kong was relatively uneventful. I slept a lot, watched two movies, ate two mediocre meals at completely odd times, and started a new book. When we landed in Hong Kong, we were given the option to get off the plane but were told that we only had one hour before we had to get back on. I opted to get off because a) I wanted to use a larger restroom and stretch my legs somewhere other than our plane and b) I thought the airport might be kind of cool and wanted to check it out.

Reason a) accomplished, I headed back towards the terminal to re-board the plane. The attendants sent us somewhere else, at which point we had to go back through security! Thinking about how little time we supposedly had (refer to previous paragraph about being a nervous traveler), I got nervous. The good news was that there were other people from our flight in line, but there were people headed to another Singapore flight there and it was just confusing. Anyway, I finally made it through – sans by Bumble & Bumble travel size hairspray, which I’ve always known is slightly over TSA standards but no one in the US ever seems to notice or care. Third key learning: Security in other countries = better than the TSA. (Editorial side note: after reading this, I am not sure why this surprised me so much.)

At this point, I was really regretting my decision to get off the plane. But once I got to the gate, I noticed that the departure time was 8 a.m. – another two hours away! This was in line with my flight information but after being told we only had one hour, I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss that connection! At this point I relaxed a bit, grabbed some coffee at the only open place in the airport (see below), and watched Bloomberg news while I waited to re-board. Fourth key learning: relax! (Not sure how this one is going to sink in, but it’s worth the self-reminder.)

Luckily the HKG-SG leg of the flight was uneventful, I quickly sailed through baggage claim and customs, and soon enough was on my way to the apartment I would call my home for the next three months. I really like it.

This is my living room. Isn't it awesome? The greenery outside the window is landscaping for the pool, which is on the same level.

Here's another angle. Very modern and cool.


My kitchen, with its glass doors. Brian, see the box of Quaker Oat Squares?


Notice that there are only about 8 hangers in the closet. Um, that's not going to cut it. ;)

Check out the view from my loft/bedroom! Too bad I didn't enjoy it last night. I was in bed by 6 p.m. (or 18:00, as the clock reads here). I was also up at 4:30 a.m. today...

This morning I learned by trial and error that one must first turn on the water heater (via a switch) if hot water is desired in the shower. This is a mistake I will never make again.

This area by the front door seems like a lot of wasted space to me, but apparently buildings like this are required to have bomb shelters. I think it makes for a good shoe closet.

Can't wait to test out the gorgeous pool!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie, what a beautiful place you're staying in. Love the shoe closet! So glad you arrived safely. I can't wait to see more pictures and read more of your blog. I love the way you write, it always cracks me up. Love you, Momma Neal

JessicaK said...

The new digs look awesome, Katie. Am very glad the flight was nice and boring, and you (and all the stuff) arrived safe & sound.

Anonymous said...

Katie, I can relate with being a nervous traveler. So glad you made it to your destination safely! My neighbor is from Singapore! :) You are staying at a beautiful place. Have a great time there, and keep posting pictures! :) Trish

Unknown said...

Katie,
Glad you made it safe! Love the blog entries. Keep 'em coming, it gives me fun reading while i'm ... um... "working". Melissa-

Kristin said...

katie!! your place looks amazing. and a pool right outside your window! just think of us back in sf, in coats and scarves in july...we are envious :)

Ann Johnson said...

Your place is fabulous! Love the decor. Cannot wait to follow your blog of your adventure overseas!