Friday, July 24, 2009

Clarke Quay

Why did I wake up at 7 a.m. again? At least it's getting later each day, but come on, body...it's Saturday!

So here I am, blogging from the comfort of my bed, overlooking the pool and watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding playing on my laptop. Unfortunately I don't feel like my witty thoughts have woken up yet so this post might not be that funny, but hopefully fun nonetheless.

Last night I met up with Jen Watts' friend, Jacob, who has lived in Singapore for the last three years. We went to a place called Clarke Quay (pronounced "key"), a huge dining/shopping/entertainment stretch along the Singapore River. This area was the commerce hub back in the late 19th Century, but they've since shut down this part of the river outside tour boats and now it's busting with probably hundreds of shops and restaurants and thousands of people. Jacob said it's kind of like taking someone to Fisherman's Wharf - that the locals don't really go there - but that it's fun to take someone who's never been before. And it was.



This shot barely does it justice, but gives you an idea of the overall atmosphere. Singapore is beautiful at night and Clarke Quay is no exception. This is on the left side of the river, and there is a parallel path on the right as well. Outdoor seating lines the entire strip.



The obligatory photo by Hooters Singapore. Yet another awesome American influence on the outside world. Great...


No, I am not super insensitive. This bar is either outside an old hospital (or maybe it's located by a medical clinic? I can't remember the details). Well, either way, the seats at the tables were wheelchairs and the outdoor couches were hospital beds!

We chose to sit at a normal table with normal chairs. Cheers!

1 comment:

Mike, Jen and Cooper too! said...

Yay! Glad you guys were able to meet up. Looks like you had fun!