Monday, July 27, 2009

Singapore: One Big John Hughes Film

In less than one week, I've been in nearly 20 malls. I made reference in an earlier post that malls are everywhere, and Singaporeans love to shop. I'm starting to believe, however - after observing how many people are actually shopping vs. hanging out (enter John Hughes) - that they love "air con" more. And honestly, who can blame them with this weather?

Anyway, I won't go into too much detail - come to Singapore if you want to see them all - but these photos probably give you a sense of how different the malls in size, scope and store offerings.

Here's the entrance to Tanjong Pagar Plaza, which is only two blocks from my apartment. Personally, I would hesitate to call it a mall, but it qualifies.


Next door at the Amara Hotel (halfway between my apartment and Tanjong Pagar Plaza), this mall has about three levels of shops and a large food court on the top floor. Shop & Save is a grocery store inside the mall. (Tanjong Pagar has one as well.) I would say the Amara Hotel mall typifies the Singaporean mall experience...

...until you get to Orchard Road, that is, where everything is bigger, better and flashier.

Sleek design and a wide selection of brand name stores lure shoppers from all over Asia. More to come on Orchard Road, I'm sure. With all the entire strip dedicated to one thing and one thing only, it's easy to see how people shop 'til they drop.

No comments: