Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fun Times & Feet In My Food

Two of my coworkers, Christina and Sam, took me out to lunch yesterday for a traditional Chinese dish: chicken rice. I thought Chris meant chicken fried rice, but chicken rice is actually boiled chicken - usually with bones and skin - served on top of rice. Not exactly a tricky name, just not what I expected. It was pretty good, and could actually be quite healthy if you don't eat the skin or too much rice. At least I knew to ask for white meat.

Then Chris brought out the soup. Um, there's a chicken foot in my soup. I am pretty adventurous when it comes to eating but I just couldn't stop thinking about what that foot might have done or scratched up in its previous life. I ate the bowl that didn't have a foot in it (knowing good and well that it was cooked in the same pot). This made her laugh, of course.


One of the things I've been missing in my Singaporean diet is a good dose of vegetables. Though I'll indulge, I generally try to eat pretty healthfully and I love veggies. I've had lots of fruits but veggies are more difficult to come by here, so Ali and I went to a Lebanese (read: Mediterranean) restaurant last night for some yummy salads with lemon vinaigrette, hummus with lamb and pitas, an olive/veggie tray and an eggplant entree. If any of my visitors (Brian and Jen) like Mediterranean food, I'm likely to take you here because it was delish! The restaurant was in Holland Village, and we stopped by a more upscale grocery while there and I bought some baby carrots and pre-washed lettuce. Judge not, I need greens (and orange).

Check out the price of the Haagen-Dazs though! (SD $1.44 = USD $1). That's USD $16 for two pints of HD. It's good, but it's not that good...


Tonight Ali and I met up with some of her friends for dinner (only four entrees at this food hawker: chicken wrap, chicken sandwich, chicken rice or chicken something else I don't remember. Chili sauce or mayonnaise for condiments. Basically sauce up your chicken and switch out your carb. My wrap with chili sauce was actually pretty good but I didn't feel the need to take a photo.

After that, some more friends of friends met up for drinks at this artsy bar somewhere between Orchard Road and Little India. It was actually a networking event for some of her friends who are in the art business, but we just tagged along and had a good time. Here we are with two other women we met there tonight.

Me (obv), Suzanna, Tamara and Ali

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I also want to go to the Lebanese restaurant and O'Bama's Pub. I'm making a list!