Monday, July 27, 2009

Observations

Today was my first full day at work, so unfortunately I didn't have time to do any sightseeing tonight (especially since I waited for 45 minutes for my building's IT guy to come check out my wireless router...and not have any idea how to fix it...I suppose some things never change).

So tonight I thought I'd share some initial observations about Singapore, as well as some of the little quirks I'm getting used to along the way.

1. Like shopping malls, escalators are everywhere. I suspect that most people prefer not to truck up and down stairs in this heat. What's interesting about them, aside from the fact that like cars on the road they're opposite of what we're accustomed to in the U.S., is that they conserve energy by operating slowly until someone steps on them. Once someone gets on, they speed up to a normal pace and then slow down again once everyone is off.

2. Similarly, Singaporeans conserve energy by switching off power outlets when they're not in use. Like the hot water heater, I'm getting used to this (although I just leave the hot water heater on now...I cannot risk another ice cold shower by forgetting to turn it on). No, that will not burn down my building. I asked.

3. The reason many kitchens have doors is because many of the traditional dishes, such as curries, can be quite fragrant - or odiferous, as Adrienne would say. I can tell you that I have run into it many, many times already.

4. Many restaurants do not give you napkins, but they will sell them. That's why mini tissue packs are sold everywhere, as well as little silk pouches to make them more attractive.

5. The sun comes up around 7 a.m. here, and people in my building seem to like working out with the lights off. It's not as dangerous as it sounds, with the outside patio lights, skylights and TV screens on the equipment. I've gotten used to it actually, and the upside is that people cannot see how beet red I am.

Now I'm off to bed, lah! Gotta get up early and hit the gym in the dark.

1 comment:

Emily said...

hahaha about the kitchen door!