Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Muni Madness

As I was writing last night's blog post, it occurred to me that I have never really written about my experiences on Muni. The Watts, the Neals, and others who live in metropolitan areas have likely experienced how gross people can get on public transportation.

Top 5 grossest (if that's not a word it should be) things that have happened to me on Muni

1. Remember how I said I strategically select a seat in the back that means only one person can sit by me? Imagine that woman openly burping on and off for about 20 minutes. UGH.

2. My bus goes through Chinatown, so pink bags full of fish or other perishables are the norm. One day this guy got on with noodles. Guess where he sat? That one seat. Not only did he slurp every single noodle, he also proceeded to spit the seeds of the olives in the noodles on the floor of the bus. Like he's eating peanuts at Logan's Roadhouse and it's ok to throw the shells on the floor. Oh no, he put them in his mouth and spit them out. Slurrrrrrrrrrrrp.

3. I'm all about keeping up a manicure and filing your nails. But I'm sorry, I don't want to see your dead skin cells fall off into dust on the floor. Please stop.

4. Once on our way to dinner in North Beach, Brian and I chose not to sit in the way back, and it
came to bite us! We had to sit across from this old lady who kept digging into her food (now forgotten) with her whole hand, then shoveled it into her mouth. It might be funny when your friend acts like Zilla at home. It is not funny - or appetizing - to watch it on the bus.

5. I sat in a big loogie. Enough said.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is by far the best post yet. When did you sit in a boogy? Gross.

-Your Husband

Emily said...

Oooh-at what point did you realize you sat in a loogie? I can't say I am envious.

Amy said...

Hi, Katie!

I just saw your website update on my facebook homepage and thought I'd check out your blog, as I always enjoyed your hysterical book club emails - before I dropped out. Seriously, you are a talented writer and so funny. Your posts are a kick in the pants!

--Amy Westberg

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...lets see...rough moments on the subway or bus here in NYC. I can't decide which is worse...the homeless guy sitting down next to me, and then passing out and falling on my shoulder...or listening to someone engorge a bacon double deathburger four inches from me...SLUURRPPP!!

Mike W.