Friday, January 4, 2008

Safe and sound (just wet)

If we wanted hurricane force winds, we would have moved to Miami.

Seriously, the weather has been nuts here since last night - the "fiercest storm in more than 5 years." We heard slate roof tiles and tree branches crashing to the ground overnight, and some parts of the Bay Area received more than 8 inches of rain. Yikes! The good thing about living on top of a hill is that I'm not worried about flooding. The bad thing is walking down three enormous hill-blocks to get to the bus. So I drove this morning, and there was a torrential downpour when I left for work. It was pitch black like midnight! I actually hit a big plastic recycling garbage can that was in the middle of the road
because I didn't see it in time. Luckily it was empty and I was able to slow down some before clipping it. When I got to the office, the dumpster behind the building was rolling around the alley hitting cars that were parked in it. Oops!

Even though more than a million people lost power at some point today, we still have our's. We're in the between 2 and 3 of a 1-2-3 punch, so I don't want to speak too soon. Anyway, in case you were wondering, we're ok.

Check out this
video. Not only does it show how awful this storm has been, but it also reminds me why I don't miss reporting!

(Still photos from the SF Chronicle)

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh-ick! Stay dry! I will email later today! lovey!

Courtney said...

Hey Kater! I've taken the semester off from grad school, which has left me more time to read/post on blogs (umm, I mean plan for my own classes I teach). So anyway, now I'm a regular reader, and I've got my own blog! Looks like you and Brian are doing well! Can't wait to see everyone in Nov (if not sooner!) xoxo, Courtney