Monday, February 9, 2009

Pineapple Portion Control

For the most part, Brian and I are healthy eaters. We cook most foods at home using lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, and little added fats. If it weren't for portion control, we'd probably be thin as rails!

My addictions to food - from light-hearted to serious - are well-documented. I'm happy to say that for the most part, most things except my proclivities towards ice cream are now under control. Brian, however, has recently developed a problem.

And that problem is pineapple, of all things.

For years, he's been known to polish off a pound of grapes in a single sitting. Now he's turned his sights to the tasty tropical treat from the islands.

The problem is that he has been eating entire pineapples in one day. The first time, he played it off since he ate some of it after work one night and the rest of it the following morning. Still, I said, that's an entire pineapple in less than 12 hours.

While he was out yesterday, I sliced up another pineapple and put it in the fridge without a single bite for myself. I got up this morning and the container was in the sink, completely empty. Who sits down and eats an entire pineapple? Apparently Brian does.

So what's the damage? A pound of grapes has between 275-300 calories. An entire pineapple apparently has about 450 calories. That's a lot of vitamin C, but it's also a lot of sugar.

At least it's better than chocolate chip cookie dough.

1 comment:

Emily said...

That's really funny! Is he having issues because of all the acid? That's what happens to me when I eat too much pineapple. My mouth gets really weird.

I guess that's better than an entire container of pimento cheese and a whole box of wheat thins in an hour too.